J&L Green Farm
|Address:|| 4010 Swover Creek Road
Edinburgh, VA 22824
Click to view hours
Tuesday: 10am - 6:30pmWednesday: 10am-6:30pmSaturday: 9am - 5pm
Located of Harrisonburg, J&L Green Farm is run by husband-and-wife team Jordan and Laura Green. Foodwaze has visited their farm and you can read a full description under the Details tab. Hrer is an overview of the farm:
• Animals raised: Beef cattle; various breeds of pigs; lamb; turkey, meat chickens, as well as laying hens.
• Living Environment: All animals are raised outdoors. Cattle and lamb are in fields their entire lives. The pigs live in the woods and pastures. Poultry are protected from predators by mobile houses and electric fences and hens use a mobile hen house.
• Animal Diets: Cattle and lamb are 100% grass-fed. The pigs forage for nuts, berries, fruit, roots, and bugs. The poultry also forage in the pastures. They’re supplemented with non-GMO grains.
• Grazing Methods: This farm takes the job of being stewards of the land to heart. They maintain daily rotational and management intensive grazing to ensure the animals are constantly moved to the best available grass and that healthy soil is built and maintained.
• Other Practices: There are NO chemicals, biosolids, hormones, or sub-therapeutic antibiotics used on the farm.
• Other Products in the Store: All meat products are from the farm.
Other things to know about this Place:
• The farm was started by Jordan and Laura Green in 2009. Both of them grew up around farming. They are also related by marriage to the Salatin family, which runs the world-renown Polyface Farm nearby.
• In addition to their farm store you can buy direct from them by purchasing on their website and picking up at one of various drop-sites around the area.
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• A site visit, or visits
• Discussion with the owners, management, and/or staff
• Other research
Foodwaze has visited the farm but we have yet to tour it. We will have a more detailed write-up when we have the opportunity. In the meantime, we can assure you all practices on this farm meet the high standards of regenerative agriculture that we advocate on Foodwaze.