Manakintowne Specialty Growers
|Address:|| Federal Hill Farms Road
Powhatan, VA 23139
Click to view hours
This farm does not have visiting hours.
• Located in Powhatan, Virginia, west of Richmond, this farms grows produce using sustainable practices.
• The 21-acre farm has been in the Pendergraph family for several decades.
• Foodwaze has had a chance to visit the farm to observe their practices.
• The Pendergraphs and their staff adhere to sustainable farming methods which include crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, mulching with compostable materials such as paper and hay, and using row covers, careful timing and non-toxic and organic sprays for pest control.
• This is a farm where personal care for nearly each and every plant is readily apparent.
• Please read more about them under our Details tab.
Manakintowne Specialty Growers is located amongst the rolling hills of Powhatan, Virginia, just west of Richmond. A site visit by Foodwaze to Manakinetowne was made in late winter 2015 to learn first-hand about its high standards of sustainable agriculture in the growing of salad greens, sprouts, herbs, and micro greens for healthy human consumption.
The 21-acre farm has been in the Pendergraph family for several decades. Take a stroll around the grounds with Jo Pendergraph, and it is so easy to detect the pride and passion that she and her husband, Rob, have vested in the farm. The property is located just west of Richmond, and serves chefs and markets in Charlottesville, Richmond, and Williamsburg. Their fields are perched along sloping terrain with rocky, clay soil suitable for long growing seasons in Virginia. Manakintowne is also a year-round operation, through the use of three large greenhouses.
Manakintowne is not a certified organic farm, as is the case with many smaller farms, partly due to the cost and complexity of certification. Part of the value Foodwaze brings to the consumer is the assurance that a place like Manakintowne is just as worthy as a certified property. The Pendergraphs and their staff adhere to sustainable farming methods which include crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, mulching with compostable materials such as paper and hay, and using row covers, careful timing and non-toxic and organic sprays for pest control. They also utilize smaller, individual beds so crops can get the personal attention they need. And that personal care is clearly apparent by watching the staff at work. Crops are meticulously hand-tended and harvested, and then triple washed, before being delivered personally around Central Virginia by the Manakintowne staff.
Manakintowne Specialty Growers products can be found at these Foodwaze verified locations:Richmond, VA Little House Green Grocery Ellwood Thompson's Rappahannock Shagbark Saison Restaurant Kitchen On Cary Belmont Butchery JM Stock Provisions RVA Charlottesville, VA The Ivy Inn Restaurant Clifton Inn Restaurant Feast Fleurie Hamiltons' at First and Main North Garden, VA Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards