Potomac Vegetable Farm - East
|Address:|| 9627 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA 22182
Click to view hours
Seasonal:Tuesday-Friday: 10am-6:30pmSaturday-Sunday: 9am-6:30pm
Potomac Vegetable Farms is headed by Hiu Newcomb, who started farming in Northern Virginia in the 1960s. She now has a sizable staff to help her out at two locations. Foodwaze has visited both farm stands and has heard PVF speak off-site. We have not fully toured the fields at either of their Loudoun County or Fairfax County location. For now, here is an overview of the farm:
• Produce Grown: A wide variety of seasonal vegetables and culinary herbs. The produce is all grown in fields surrounding the farm stand.
• Chemicals: No use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. No use of biosolids.
• Sustainable Practices: Use of microbial compost, crop rotation, row covers, winter cover crops, and summer green manure crops. All practices focus on building healthy soil. Cultivation and weeding are done by hand.
• Watering: No information at this time.
• Certification: At one time the farm was Certified Organic but decided to drop out of the program due to cost and record-keeping. They now describe their practices as “Ecoganic.”
• Other Products Sold: Produce in their CSA is only from PVF. They offer add-ons for eggs, flowers, and some other things all through sustainable purveyors. This farm stand location also offers some products from other local regenerative farms.
Other things to know about this Place:
• Hiu Newcomb started farming in Fairfax County in the 1960s. She still runs the farm - which includes the Fairfax and Loudoun county properties - along with her daughter Hana, and Ellen Polishuk.
• PVF has had a long-time presence in DC area farmers markets and in fact was one of the first vendors when the markets opened in the early 80s.
• Please click on te Related Place tab to connect to their Loundoun County stand, in Purcellville.
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• A site visit
• Discussion with staff
• Other research
Potomac Vegetable Farm - East products can be found at these Foodwaze verified locations:Takoma Park, MD Takoma Park Farmers Market