Riverstone Organic Farm
|Address:|| 708 Thompson Road
Floyd, VA 24091
Click to view hours
Riverstone Organic Farm is a diverse sustainable farm that combines livestock and produce. Foodwaze has visited their farm and you can read a full description under the Details tab. Here is an overview of the farm:
• Animals raised: Aberdeen Angus/Simmental beef cattle, Katahdin sheep, egg laying chickens, and pigs.
• Living Environment: Cattle and sheep are out in fields for their entire lives. The chickens live in pasture with a mobile hen house, and the pigs live primarily in pasture and woods.
• Animal Diets: Cattle sheep are 100% grass-fed. Pigs forage in the pastures and woods for grass, roots, nuts, etc. Chickens also forage for bugs and worms. The pigs and chickens are supplemented with non-GMO grains.
• Grazing Methods: Rotational grazing practices are used to build healthy soil and pastures.
• Other Practices: There are NO chemicals, biosolids, hormones, or sub-therapeutic antibiotics used on the farm.
• Produce Grown: A wide variety of seasonal vegetables.
• Chemical Use: No toxic chemicals.
• Sustainable Practices: Cover cropping, crop rotation, mulching, composting.
• Watering: Drip irrigation from well water.
• Certification: USDA Certified Organic
• Other Products Sold: The farm store offers a few other products from local, sustainable farms.
Other things to know about this Farm:
• Riverstone Organic Farm is owned by Woody and Jackie Crenshaw. The property had previously been a working farm for more than a century when they bought it in 2002. But it wasn’t until 2009 that they began actively working the land again and earning it an organic certification.
• Their farm store is open daily. Be sure to bring cash or a check.
• The farm also conducts periodic events such as how to grow medicinal mushrooms, or wilderness survival. Please check their website for their calendar or visit the store where events are posted on a blackboard in front.
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• A site visit, or visits
• Other research
Riverstone Organic Farm is a family-run certified organic farm located in Floyd, Virginia. This area is about thirty minutes south of Roanoke and is tucked in the western foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, making for spectacular, undulating topography.
The present-day farm was started by Woody and Jackie Crenshaw. In 2002, they bought the property, which had been previously cultivated for more than a century. In 2009, they teamed up with SustainFloyd, a local sustainable agriculture advocacy group, to begin the organic certification process, which takes three years.
Today, the farm is a true testament to permaculture and sustainability, with its diverse mix of croplands and livestock pasture. As you drive up the road to the property you gaze upon the flourishing vegetable plots blanketing the fertile, flat river bottom. With approximately 12 acres in production, the farm grows a wide variety of vegetables, as well as berries, all certified organic.
On gentle slopes surrounding the valley floor, you will find livestock grazing on pasture. This includes cattle, sheep, pigs and laying hens. The farm is divided into 35 separate pasture areas and the animals are rotated on a regular basis in accordance with sustainable practices that optimize fertilization and regeneration of the grass, while affording the animals nourishing food that meets their natural dietary needs.
Riverstone’s beef cattle are 100% grass-fed. They raise a cross between Angus and Simmentel, the latter of which is native to Switzerland and highly suitable to pasture farming. For pork, the farm raises a cross between the Duroc and Chester-White. The pigs feed on roots and grass in the fields and are supplement with non-GMO, soy-free organic grains. Also out on pasture, you will find a flock of Katahdin sheep, which are moved regularly to fresh grass in rotation with the other livestock on the farm. Not to be overlooked are the laying hens that you can likely watch pecking in the grass around near the farm store.
The farm sells its products to markets and restaurants around Floyd County and the Roanoke Valley. Please see the Places list for those Foodwaze places that carry their products. On that list you will also see the Riverstone Farm Store, right on their property, which is open daily. If you are in the area, visiting their farm store is a must.