|Address:|| 2177 Tinkling Spring Road
Stuarts Draft, VA 24477
Click to view hours
Farm Store: Monday-Friday: 8am-5pm
Sunrise Farms is run by Miller family, a well-known Mennonite family from Stuarts Draft, Virginia. Foodwaze has had a chance to visit the farm and talk to members of the family, but we did not have a chance to fully tour the farm. Here is an overview of the farm:
• Animals raised: Beef cattle, pigs, turkeys, meat chickens and laying hens.
• Living Environment: It is our belief that all animals are raised outdoors.
• Animal Diets: Cattle are 100% grass-fed. The pigs and poultry also forage in pastures and are supplement with NonGMO feed produced by the farm itself.
• Grazing Methods: This farm appears to take the job of being stewards of the land seriously by using regenerative principles. They maintain regular rotational grazing to ensure the animals are constantly moved to the best available grass and that healthy soil is built and maintained.
• Other Practices: There are NO chemicals, biosolids, hormones, or sub-therapeutic antibiotics used on the farm. The farm also is a major supplier of NonGMO feed to other farms around Virginia. They mill the feed on site, but they source the grain from other farms and we do not yet know much about their sources.
• Other Products in the Store: Most products are from Sunrise Farm. They do sell lamb from a nearby sustainable farm. The lamb on that farm do appear to be raised outdoors but are not 100% grass-fed. They do receive a barley supplement.
Other things to know about this Farm:
• Their farm stand is open five days a week.
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• A site visit
• Discussion with staff
• Other research
Sunrise Farm is located in Stuarts Draft, Virginia, just southeast of Staunton. It is a multipurpose sustainable farm producing pastured meat and eggs. The farm is also a large supplier of non-GMO grains for other sustainable farms throughout the region.
The farm was founded in 2003 by Maynard and Shirley Miller and their children and it continues to be run today by the Miller Family. Foodwaze visited the farm briefly in the summer of 2015 and spoke with one of the sons, Anthony Miller.
Their farm is a holistic, multi-species operation in which the livestock rotate through paddocked pastures, naturally fertilizing the grass and building up healthy soil for the long-term. Beef raised at Sunrise Farm are 100% grass fed and finished.
The farm raises meat and egg chickens as well as turkey. All are pasture raised. Their pork is also raised with outdoor access. The farm also produces cured pork products such as ham and bacon, using its own sustainably raised pork , and no nitrates, nitrites, or MSG.
All poultry and pigs on the farm are supplemented with Sunrise-manufactured non-GMO feed. GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism and the type of seed used in a majority of the corn and soybeans grown in this country. The allow for excessive use of herbicides and pesticides. Nearly 50 countries around the world have restricted or banned their use due to potential health implications. But not the US.
Any truly sustainable livestock operation should be sourcing either organic, or at the least, non-GMO feed. Sunrise Farm is truly exemplary for helping facilitate healthier agricultural practices. The farms efforts to produce non-GMO feed have been supported by nearby Polyface Farms. In addition to GMO-free feeds, the farm also produces soy-free feed.
To manufacture its feeds, Sunrise Farm partners with farms mostly in the State of Virginia. Foodwaze will make efforts to connect with some of these farms in the future.
In addition to purchasing Sunrise Farm meats at various Foodwaze Places, you can purchasing directly from their farm store which is open Monday-Saturday, 8am-6pm.