The Juice Laundry - The Corner
|Address:|| 1411 University Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Click to view hours
Monday-Friday: 7:30am-8pmSaturday-Sunday: 8am-6pm
|Categories:||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Juice Bar|
The Juice Laundry is owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Mike and Sarah Keenan. The business is genuinely committed to organic, non-GMO, soy-free and dairy free ingredients. As their name attests, juice is their main product… raw, cold-pressed and organic. But they also offer some other menu items. We give it our BEST rating for its all around devotion to regenerative food and advocacy of healthy living through numerous wellness events. Indeed, this is place ranks at the very top in Charlottesville if you want to hit a healthy home run.
• Healthful Vibe: Without a doubt, The Juice Laundry nails it in our book. It’s not just that they sell raw juice, bit it’s their commitment to organic ingredients and the way they make their juice. The environment is clean and comfortable… definitely a place that invites you to sit and stay a while.
• Menu/Inventory: It is all about the smoothies and raw juices. They are all vegan, gluten-free, and peanut free. There is also a short selection of “bowls” and snacks. This is a great healthy menu! They also sell their juices in small and large sized glass bottles to go.
• Produce: It’s all certified organic sourced mostly through national distributors. They also source from local organic farms when seasonal produce is available.
• Meat: No meat.
• Eggs: No eggs.
• Fish: No fish.
• Dairy: No dairy. They offer a yogurt but it’s vegan.
• Grains: Organic and limited to quinoa and oat granola.
• Dietary Info: This place rocks it for vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free minded people. They do use nuts but you can find nut-free options, and there are no peanuts.
• Other Health Factors: The business rates highly for these qualities:
- Juicing methods: Not all juicing methods are equal. The Juice Laundry cold-presses its juice using Norwalk and Goodnature hydraulic press juicers. This is a time-and labor-intensive process that extracts the maximum amount of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from every piece of fresh produce. After grinding the fresh produce into a pulp, they place the ground pulp into microfiber bags and apply thousands of pounds of pressure to completely extract the good stuff so that it can be easily digested by your body.
- They don’t use preservatives or other additives, nor is their juice processed under high-pressure, as is the case with most juice you find in health food markets. Therefore, at The Juice Laundry you will see expiration dates only a few days out because of their freshness and lack of preservatives or additives.
Mike Keenan opened The Juice Laundry on Preston Avenue in Charlottesville in September 2015, but Keenan had been selling raw juice by delivery and at farmers markets for several years before that. He earned a law degree at the University of Virginia and practiced law for a few years before unleashing his entrepreneurial skills toward helping people live healthy. His commitment toward organics and producing raw juice using the healthiest processes available are the embodiment of our mission at Foodwaze.
In addition to their mindfulness about food, Mike and Sarah are passionate about promoting healthfulness in other ways. They frequently conduct wellness programs at their business, from free yoga to talks and presentations about health.
The business also strives for zero-waste through a combination of reusable glass-bottles, composting all food scrapes, and using compostable containers that are hauled away by a professional composting company.
LAY OF THE LAND
This location on The Corner at the University of Virginia is the second one they opened, in June 2017. It has spacious seating inside if you want to sit and stay awhile.
As most people know who are familiar with The Corner, parking is a little rough in this section of Charlottesville. There is some public parking nearby and a few 15-minute spots right out front of the store. See their website to place an order ahead.
Please click on the Related Places tab to connect to their other locations. (We will add their DC location when it opens in Summer 2017).
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• Many visits to The Juice Laundry and discussions with staff and ownership. Foodwaze has visited the business many times since it opened.
• Visiting and verifying the practices at local farms they use as sources.
• Conducting other research about the business to verify its practices.
|Radical Roots Farm||Fruits, Vegetables or Herbs|
The Juice Laundry - The Corner specializes in preparing food for the following dietary needs: