Whisper Hill Farm
|Address:|| 7127 Scottsville Road
Scottsville, VA 24590
Click to view hours
This farm does not operate a farm stand on site.
Whisper Hill Farm is run by husband-and-wife team James and Holly Hammond. Foodwaze has visited their farm several times and you can read a full description under the Details tab. Here is an overview of the farm:
• Produce Grown: A wide variety of seasonal vegetables.
• Chemicals: No use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. No use of biosolids.
• Sustainable Practices: Use of compost, hay mulch, crop rotation, row covers, and cover crops. All practices focus on building healthy soil. Cultivation and weeding are done by hand.
• Watering: Drip irrigation from well water.
• Certification: USDA Certified Organic
• Other Products Sold: None. Products in their CSA are sourced only from Whisper Hill.
Other things to know about this Place:
• Please click on their website to learn more about their CSA. Typically they offer two pick-up locations, one in Charlottesville and at their farm in Scottsville.
• Whisper Hill Farm is a "resident farm" of Maple Hill Farm, so that's the sign you will see out front if you are looking for it on Rt. 20.
This listing was compiled using the following processes:
• A site visit, or visits
• Discussion with the owners, management, and/or staff
Culpeper County’s loss was Albemarle County’s gain in 2015. Not that there’s any notable competition between the two spectacularly scenic, agricultural counties, about 30 miles from each other in the heart of Virginia. It’s just that 2015 was when Holly and James Hammond officially moved their Whisper Hill farming operation from Culpeper south to Scottsville.
They had been practicing sustainable agriculture on leased property in Culpeper for five years. But as often happens with any business, a variety of circumstances forced them to shift gears and they found the ideal landing place along Route 20, just south of Charlottesville. Our first visit to the property occurred in late summer of 2015, which gave us a chance to fully appreciate the energy, passion, and skill they dedicate toward producing healthy, nutritious food for their community.
Whisper Hill is located on a sprawling farm called Maple Hill Farm. It has been certified organic since the early 2000s, but had been uncultivated for many years. Now, the Hammond’s have it looking amazing, with rows of vegetables, flowers, and cover crops.
Maintaing organic status is a natural for these two, who are fully committed to sustainable practices. They manage about 15 acres, and have about eight of those planted at any given time in-season. Of those eight, about half are planted in cover crops. Cover cropping is an integral part of sustainable agriculture, helping keep the soil healthy through nitrogen fixation and weed control. In fact, the Hammonds seem just as proud of their cover crops as they do their production crops.
During dry periods, they drip irrigate with the use of local well water. Weeding and cultivating is done by hand. We repeat: by hand. While the Hammonds may downplay this, if you stand on the hill by their house overlooking the fields, you will appreciate what a monumental task this is. Give them a hug of thanks when you see them at the farmers market!
In addition to selling at local farmers markets, and through several Foodwaze restaurants, Whisper Hill makes its products available through a CSA subscription. Click on their website for details.
Whisper Hill Farm products can be found at these Foodwaze verified locations:Charlottesville, VA Farmers in the Park Charlottesville City Market Revolutionary Soup - The Corner Revolutionary Soup - Downtown The Whiskey Jar Beer Run JM Stock Provisions Clifton Inn Restaurant Integral Yoga Natural Foods Crozet, VA Greenwood Gourmet Grocery North Garden, VA Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards